Thursday, August 25, 2011

Ora-Thai: don't go there

OraThai is a traditional Thai name, apparently. That is where the authenticity ends. I knew it was a bad sign when I went to pick up the take away and there were curries in a bain-marie. Think: Thai restaurant meets 1990s Fish and Chip shop and you have a sense of the mood.

Their walls are plastered with signs about how they don't take credit card for their authentic Thai food. It seems odd that a) they would not take credit cards and b) this would be the thing they make front and centre of their advertising.

The chilli chicken with cashew nuts was light on cashew nuts and chilli.

The mee goreng didn't look like mee goreng, frankly.

It was all okay. I cannot wait to move back closer into the CBD so that my take out experiences can be elevated from this crap-house average standard that pervades the burbs.

Caveat: apparently there is some all-swank Thai restaurant in Ivanhoe. It is far too pricey for weeknight snacks. However, I feel I should acknowledge that there is good food beyond the tram line boundary.

No comments:

Post a Comment