Thursday, September 1, 2011

Fairfield Deli We Love You

So I know I've given Fairfield a bit of a hard time previously but the deli is blowing my mind.
Things I have eaten from the deli in the last week:
Figs stuffed with marscapone cheese (2.50)
Apricots stuffed with marscapone cheese (1.50, and better, actually)
Beef Borek (in the oven with cheese and peas and carrot and happiness on a Saturday arvo)
Chicken and Vegie Borek
Vegie lasagna (least fav, but still good).

I plan to go nuts on their cheeses soon.

What I especially love is that the place is so unassuming. I go to a deli in Albert Park on Sundays sometimes and it is such a beautiful place: everything is just way nicer than my actual reality-- shinier, more expensive, more organic, more cheesy, usually.

But it is also a slightly absurd experience, in that everything is like double the normal price, and I feel like there are a lot of heroes in the room (I cannot get past the use of this phrase on reality TV). Even the apples from like, Nunawading, have their source noted as if there is something impressive about getting your apples from Springvale Rd. Maybe there is. I start to feel like there is while I wait for my coffee. It's all so shiny. And the barista is so witty and articulate. Where do they find these people? (Answer, obviously: Albert Park).

So I like Fairfield cause it's slightly odd in a MUCH less hip way, mostly because there are two men working there and the older guy seems to be totally redundant (supervised in all activities) and yet way too old to be a trainee. So what's going on there? Something sweet I suspect.

Fairfield, I got your number. You're going to weasel your way into at least B+ standard, right before we leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment